Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:50:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff@speicher.org>
To:        "W. Wayne Liauh" <LiauhW001@hawaii.rr.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   weird Linux-ulation (Was Re: Kylix)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Geoffrey C. Speicher wrote:

> This is with linux_base-6.1, however.  I'm upgrading to linux_base-7.1_1
> as we speak, and will report back my findings.  For the curious, the

...and the findings are, well, unexpected.

The good news: after upgrading to linux_base-7.1_1, installing the
linux-jpeg port, and cleaning up a few bash-specific shell syntax items in
the Borland install scripts, I was able to pass all of the system checks
and install Kylix.

The weird news: all of my Linux ELF binaries and libraries are reported as
SVR4 ABI.  This includes not only the new Kylix binaries, but every single
Linux binary on my (RELENG_4 ~ Feb 5) machine with a fresh
linux_base-7.1_1.

If I brand either or both of my Linux compat stuff or the Kylix stuff as
Linux, then execution immediately fails with one of the following,
depending on the combination:

Kylix: error while loading shared libraries: /home/geoff/kylix-install/bin/Kylix: undefined symbol: @Sysutils@HookOSExceptionsProc

Kylix: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libNoVersion.so.1: ELF file OS ABI invalid

If I keep everything branded as SVR4, we get a little farther.  There is a
simple "Please wait..." dialog that comes up during first-time execution
while generating some sort of font matrix generation.  This dialog takes
over the CPU, with repeated:

 linux: 'ioctl' fd=18, cmd=0x7201 ('r',1) not implemented

(This appears to be a Linux MS-DOS filesystem ioctl.)

It will continue to run as long as I let it.  Simply closing the dialog
continues on to product registration, which completes successfully.
Moments later, the program is terminated with signal 4, illegal
instruction.

This is all with Kylix 1.0 Open Edition.  I just saw an ad for Kylix 2, so
maybe I'll give that a whirl.  But it would be promising if someone could
tell me what's going on with my ABI's.

Geoff