Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 14:24:19 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn_mark@dpt.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dpt scsi smartraid iv controller, in raid 5 mode... ?

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 11:39:37AM -0400, Mark Salyzyn wrote:
> >> also there is rumor of support for the raid v card 'soon'.
> >Yes.  There is a rumour.
>
> No rumor, I released the driver to any who would ask for it on
> August 3 and announced it here and in freebsd-hardware. Currently,
> only Mirapoint has taken to testing the driver.

It sounds maybe like DPT is the kind of company that listens to
customer feedback, so I'll mention this in case you have an
opportunity to pass it on.

The reason I haven't gone with the V stuff is because we need to be
able to run an up-to-date version of FreeBSD (that means 3.x-STABLE
right now).  IIRC the driver that came out was for the dead 2.2
branch.

We're buying two big (Pentium III, 256MB RAM, 4 x 9GB) machines this
afternoon, and they're going to end up with Adaptec 3950U2Bs in them
because the DPT stuff we have drivers for is too expensive.

I prefer DPT, and hopefully for the next machine there will be CAM
support for the newer cards.

I'm not complaining, just providing a real-world example where a port
to 3.x would have helped.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/