Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 03:16:57 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: news server

T. William Wells wrote in message ID
<4pkliu$nv9@twwells.com>:
> Next question: I hear about this thing called the "sharedactive
> patch". I'm guessing that it has something to do with nnrps
> sharing the history file via memory mapping. Is that correct?
> Does it work with 2.1-RELEASE and later?

That's debatable. It does for some people, but leads to active file
corruption for others. The cause has yet to be tracked down, as the VM
guru (John Dyson) can't seem to replicate the behaviour causing
corruption on his system(s).

My current guess is that if your machine doesn't swap/page while
running the sharedactive patch, you'll be okay, but don't quote me on
that, and don't blame me if it doesn't work!

Gary