Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:24:59 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), joe@via.net, mrcpu@cdsnet.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't put 512MB ram in box ... Extended memory question.

>Is it my imagination or doesnt BSDI handle this fairly automagically?
>
>Also what are the consequences of setting MAXMEM to a high number
>even on low memory machine.
>I thought that I saw the GENERIC kernel et at 128K.

   Yes, you can do that. There is a stupid bug in the reporting of memory
holes that causes a "Physical memory hole(s):" line to come out, but
that is quite harmless. Otherwise, if it works at all then it will work
just fine. Michael is correct, though; some motherboards will reset or
get NMIs if you access non-existent memory, which is why we don't do
speculative memory probing by default.

-DG

David Greenman