Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 03:22:20 -0800
From:      Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>, Fenix <fenix@xs4some.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail vs. postfix question

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Christopher Farley wrote:
> Fenix (fenix@xs4some.net) wrote:
>
> > I have a little question about sendmail vs. postfix ....
> > Are there any known recent problms with sendmail security ?
> > what about postfix ?
>
> Sendmail is a large, monolithic, complicated program that runs as
> root. Historically, it has been responsible for some of the most
> notorious and widespread security holes on the Internet, but I
> don't believe there are any (known) gaping holes in it today.
> Sendmail configuration is complicated and arcane -- it is the
> subject of one of the thickest books in the O'Reilly catalog.
> Actually, configuring sendmail is not that bad once you understand
> it -- you edit a human-readable config file which is processed by
> the m4 macro processor to build the much less human-readable
> sendmail.cf file. However, if you are like I am, and infrequently
> make configuration changes to your mail server, it may take more than a
> few minutes of grepping documentation to make even a tiny change.
>
> Postfix has a different architecture, but strictly conforms to the
> 'sendmail api'. That is to say that Postfix is more or less designed
> to be a drop-in replacement for Sendmail. Postfix is actually
> several small, specialized daemons that do not run as root (!),
> which has some positive security implications. Configuration of
> Postfix is very easy; there is no m4 macro processing here! I have
> always been able to make it do what I need it to do, although my
> needs aren't very great. According to my ISP (visi.com), Postfix
> outperforms Sendmail.

Postfix performance exceeds sendmail performance on equivalent boxes in all my
experiences in terms of just about any metric you care to use, and I use it
exclusively these days.  As anecdotal evidence, once when I configured it on a
very fast machine and sent a lot of mail through it, I had a large ISP call up
and complain that I was DoSing their mail server.... It was just postfix being
its normal, speedy, efficient self, and they had some NT lameware mail relay....

As far as security, given how much I rely on it, I recently(last year) decided
to re-audit its code, and after a couple of days spent looking for format
strings and other stuff I decided to discontinue the audit... Mr. Venema's code
is so rigorous that it even passes _internal_ data between routines through
filtering and cleaning functions (how paranoid is that :-) if that's any
indication of how it's built up.

I personally think very highly of it.  (Besides, I really would be fine
if I never have to look at another arcane sendmail ruleset ever
again... :-P )

cheers,
--dr

--