Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:15:18 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Michael Johnson <michael@emjay.net>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why so many?

# michael@emjay.net / 2002-12-03 23:23:56 -0500:
> On Tuesday, Dec 3, 2002, at 22:36 US/Eastern, Rick Hamell wrote:
>
> >>So I decided to go for it...I got a laptop, never booted it into
> >>Windows so I don't pay my M$ tax, downloaded the 4 CDs worth of stuff,
> >>burned the CDs, and booted the laptop from the first CD.  I dodged the
> >>Windows bullet.  Whew!
> >
> >	You're better off asking questions in -questions. That's what it
> >exists for. -Newbies exists to point people to resources that may help.
>
> Great...do you think you could point me to a resource to help?  I need
> to find out where to find these things myself so I don't disturb the
> restless slumber of the members of the list.

    Hm, the recurring problem: newbies are not supposed to ask questions
    on this list! :)

    Now on to your question: in the manual pages, of course. Although...
    I don't actually remember it, but reading mount(8) and
    mount_cd9660(8) I would say that I must have had a hell of a time
    deducing the right syntax from the man pages when I started playing
    with FreeBSD. :)

    Anyways, what the man pages say (in the usual cryptometalanguage)
    is:

    mount [options] device | mountpoint

    examples:

    mount /dev/acd0c
    mount /cdrom

    If you ask why the man page says "special" instead of "device", the
    answer is: because it doesn't have to be a device.
    remotemachine:/exported/filesystem is valid as well, and it's not a
    device. The same principle probably applies to the "node" x
    "mountpoint" discrepancy, although I can't come up with any example
    right now. The man pages have to be correct first, human readable
    second. :)