Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 02:23:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOYO SY-30F2 blues

> Hoi Hardware,
>
> I own a SOYO SY-30F2 mainboard (4xpci, 2xvesa, all 486's) with a
> NCR 53C810 on the PCI bus. Until a week ago that was the only device
> on the PCI bus.
>
> A week ago I added a 'Diamond Stealth 64 video 2001' to my system.
> Pretty cool video card, but not for me. X crashes my system (as in
> immediate reboot). Needless to say Descent^H^H^H^H^H^H^HMS-DOS runs
> fine :( I have no MS Windows to try it with.
>
> In the shop they told me that my mainboard has trouble handling two
> PCI busmastering devices and that I need a new mainboard if I want to
> run a FreeBSD on it. Any truth in that?

But you do _not_ have two PCI busmastering devices.  A video card is
not a bus mastering device, the only bus master you have is the NCR
53C810.

If anything I would syspect the Diamond Stealth 64 video 2001, I have
heard nothing but nightmares from my freinds down the street who build
regular PC for DOS/Windows/WIN95 when they try to use these things on
just about anyones motherboard.

> boot -v reveals that both the SCSI and the VGA card use int# a. and
> occupy the same memory address. This is regardless of the settings I
> do in the bios (Award modular bios).

It sounds like maybe the bios on the VGA card or the motherboard bios
are not doing the right thing with respect to memory space assignment.

> Any suggestions?

Yea, try someone elses S3-968 based card, Miro, Number Nine, anyone
but diamond and you'll probably be running just fine.