Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:03:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se
Subject:   Re: IPC, shared memory, syncronization

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <39948331.5E83DE1B@servicefactory.se>,
> Jonas Bulow  <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se> wrote:
> > Jonas Bulow wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the "BSD-way" of access to shared memory (mmap:ed) secure (avoid
> > > race conditions, etc)? Right now I'm using posix semaphores but I would
> > > like to know if there is a substitute like the way kqueue is for
> > > select/poll.

I don't know about the "bsd" or whatever way. If you're doing real
parallel programming and want real performance, you'll use a test-and-set
like function that uses the low-level machine instructions for same.

I do have one of these (posted to this list about 6 years ago) if you want
it.

uses any kind of system call or flock for high performance programs will
not work well. It's ok if you need to synchronize access every minute or
so ...

ron