Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:28:41 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        "Oivind H. Danielsen" <oivind.danielsen@kopek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WRITE command timeout

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 07:07:41PM +0100, "Oivind H. Danielsen"
<oivind.danielsen@kopek.net> wrote:

> We have been running FreeBSD 4.6-5.1 systems for 1.5 years and are being
> plagued  by these:
>
>  Dec 18 15:15:39 <> /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -
> resetting
>  Dec 19 15:03:23 <> /kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -
> resetting

> In our rack we have 34 identical drives (IBM IC35L080AVVA07).
>
>   24 drives on Windows 2000    : no problems.
>    4 drives on Linux 2.4.x     : no problems.
>
>    2 drives on RELENG_4_8
>     (VIA 82C686, VIA C3)       : no problems
>
>    4 drives on RELENG_4_8
>     (nVIDIA nForce, XP 2000+)  : r/w timeouts, fs corruption.
>
>   (1 drive/system, 6 FreeBSD boxes)
>
> The good systems have been running the 1.5 years without a hitch. The
> four identical RELENG_4_8 systems have all had corrupted filesystems (at
> least once every two months).

You seem to like fighting with your FreeBSD boxes, 1,5 years is a
lot of time in terms of FreeBSD releases.. Otherwise I would suggest
running Linux and be done with it. I'm far from being Linux advocate
and have no Linux systems at the moment, but sometimes you must
decide what you value..
Have you tried to move the seemingly failing disks from the FreeBSD
boxes to working ones? Simply swap the disks, as you have cluster it
should be simple. Perhaps swap cables, too, to have less variables
in comparison.
--
Vallo Kallaste