Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:49:14 -0800
From:      Oliver Iberien <oliver-forward@charter.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   openoffice package install fails on gamin dependency - KDE needs fam

I'm trying to install the package of OpenOffice 2.0:

bsd# pkg_add /home/oliver/OOo_SRC680_m156_FreeBSD60Intel_install_en-US.tbz
pkg_add: could not find package gamin-0.1.7_1 !

Unfortunately:

===>  gamin-0.1.7_2 conflicts with installed package(s):
      fam-2.6.9_6

      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gamin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gamin.
bsd# pkg_delete fam-2.6.9_6
pkg_delete: package 'fam-2.6.9_6' is required by these other packages
and may not be deinstalled:
dasher-3.2.15
eel-2.10.1_1
fileroller-2.10.4,1
gdm-2.8.0.1
gnome-menus-2.10.2_1
gnomedesktop-2.10.2
gnomegames2-2.10.2
gnomemedia2-2.10.2
gnomevfs2-2.10.1
gnomevfs2-2.12.2_2
gstreamer-plugins-gnomevfs-0.8.10_1
gtkhtml3-3.6.2
k3b-0.12.11
kde-3.5.1

...and many more. I do not wish to lose KDE. The problem seems to be
documented:

But I cannot find a workaround that works with the package.

A person from the FreeBSD KDE project posted here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports/56219

for use with the portupgrade system, and the same thread:
http://freebsd.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2006-February/012137.html

has something to be spliced in to pkgtools.conf. I put it in, but no joy.

Is there some way to do this without having to download and install the very,
very large ports version? And even if I download it, will it install?

Thanks,

Oliver