Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 01:12:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@freefour.acs.rpi.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Subject:   ports/7468: Error building modula-3 on dual-processor kernel

>Number:         7468
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Error building modula-3 on dual-processor kernel
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

	Running on a Toshiba 6200M computer, with two 200Mhz
	Pentium Pro processors and 192 meg of RAM on an
	Intel PR440FX motherboard.

	I updated my system to current as of July 31st.  After updating,
	I tried rebuilding modula-3, and after many successful steps in
	that process, I got the following failure:
---------------------- building m3 ----------------------

mkdir FreeBSD2
--- building in FreeBSD2 ---
m3 -w1 -why -O -times -o m3 -F/var/tmp/qkPl7596
new source -> compiling ../src/M3Backend.i3
new source -> compiling ../src/Arg.i3
new source -> compiling ../src/Msg.i3
new source -> compiling ../src/M3Path.i3
new source -> compiling ../src/Unit.i3
new source -> compiling ../src/Utils.i3
new source -> compiling ../src/WebFile.i3
new source -> compiling ../src/M3BackPosix.m3
new source -> compiling ../src/Arg.m3
new source -> compiling ../src/Msg.m3
new source -> compiling ../src/M3Path.m3

***
*** runtime error:
***    improper typecode: 174758
***
	It then just hung there.  From another session I was running
	'top', and it showed:
  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
 7598 root      91   0  3744K  2140K CPU0   1   1:29 99.32% 98.42% m3

	This was while running with an SMP kernel definition (note that
	I had already rebooted the system after the 'make installworld'
	and building this kernel).  I have a similar kernel definition
	which does not turn on the SMP support, so I installed that
	kernel, rebooted, and did a 'make clean' and 'make' for modula-3.
	This time it worked fine.

	I would also note that I ran into the same problem when I first
	built this system from 3.0-980627-SNAP.  In that case I had built
	the system from scratch (reformatting disks, etc), via an FTP
	install.  That time I also had a similar error when building
	modula-3 on a SMP kernel, but that time I didn't think to save
	the error message before rebooting into a single-CPU kernel.

	Other than the problems building modula-3, I have seen no odd
	failures during the month I ran with the 3.0-980627-SNAP-based
	SMP kernel, or the ten or fifteen minutes I've been running
	with the latest code from CURRENT...

>How-To-Repeat:

	Try to build modula-3 on a system with an SMP kernel, I guess.

>Fix:

	I have no idea about possible fixes (other than the workaround
	of rebooting with a single-cpu kernel).