Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 15:47:06 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Window Manager Wars

[this is long overdue to be moved to -chat]

The Classiest Man Alive wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Nocturne wrote:
>: You kids today with yer fancy KDE.  Back in my day we had Openlook and
>: we was thankful!  Now mind you I had to walk barefoot and butt-nekid
>: through 50 miles of .rc's to use it, but we was happy!  :-)
>
>I agree completely.  Back in the day, people ran twm not because it was
>pretty, but because it was the only thing that worked on the 2-4 MB system
>that you had.  Nowadays it's cheaper to buy another 32 MB of RAM to run
>your favorite window manager than it is to learn to edit .rc files.
>
>Incidentally, I still like the fvwm family.  They're graphically
>attractive, highly configurable, and (most importantly, IMO) lightweight.
>Sure, they went a little awry with that whole fvwm95 thing, but other than
>that, it's a solid choice as a WM.

I like the "older" WMs for just those reasons, I've got a server that
runs X on diskless terminals, there would be no way I could run (or
afford) it if they used something as huge as KDE.

It's almost getting to the point where your choice of window manager
is a political statement.  At least it seems that way.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world