Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:28:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

> An emulation that the typical Linux user had to download and
> incorporate into their kernel in order to get it to work would, by no
> means, make the average software vendor jump up and down about how
> FreeBSD was now a universal API (as Brett desires).  That's too much
> to expect of the typical Linux user.  That means you couldn't just
> take the "doesn't matter" attitude here since you'd want the emulation
> *bundled* into Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, etc. in order to be
> effective.  Please, at least think things through to a minimal degree
> while you're making your wish lists. :)

Linux would be paid.  They'd get the entirety of the ports and packages,
with all of the automation and build repeatability that the Linux
soloutions don't bring to the table.

Frankly, I can't imagine at least one or two distributions wouldn't
fall totally in line and adopt the FreeBSD user space for the same
automation and build repeatability reasons.  FreeBSD has already been
approached about something similar by Debian, albiet in a somewhat
introverted fashion.

One warning here: the Larry McVoy clock is ticking on the source code
control for full Linux distributions.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---