Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:38:05 -0700
From:      "Crist Clark" <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
To:        anindya <anindya@goonda.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote syslog question

anindya wrote:

> > What does the syslog.conf(5) on the log host look like? What does
> > it do with the local0 facility?
>
> I have a default syslog.conf on the loghost, and have simply added
> one line:
>
> local0.*                        /var/log/ipflog

And /var/log/ipflog exists and the syslogd(8) daemon was SIGHUP'ed or
restarted since the change?

> If you do a tcpdump(8), do you see
> > the local0 messages leaving the firewall and getting to the log host?
>
> Yes, every other type of syslog message goes to the loghost no problems.
> Also, if I comment out the local0.* line on the firewall,
> I start getting ipf messages, so its all working correctly,
> the real question is, is it possible to send local0.* to
> both places?

Hrm. You are saying that if you comment out the 'local0.*' line in
the firewall's syslog.conf(5), then the log host starts logging the
ipf(8) stuff correctly? That is to say, it looks like that the local0.*
line on the firewall seems to prevent it from forwarding the messages
to log host? That would be really strange.

No matter what is happening, you may want to run the syslogd(8) processes
in debug mode to see what they are actually up to.
--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark@globalstar.com                    Globalstar, L.P.

The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If
the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact postmaster@globalstar.com