Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 21:00:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se (Samy Touati)
Subject:   Re: "Panick" - help needed...

As Samy Touati wrote:

> I can't get any corefile out of a crash of my machine, but after getting

Please, read the section about kernel debugging in the handbook.  It
explains how you will get it to dump core, and it will also explain
you how to investigate the core.

> the message:
> panic: free: too many frees and a reboot
> I got this message:

> fault virtual address   = 0xf03b44e3

> Does anybody know what does this means?

Very simple: a kernel bug. ;-) The page fault might probably be a
subsequent error due to the damage that caused the panic, so analyzing
the `too many frees' problem is more important.

If it repeatedly also page faults after the `free' panic, so you won't
get a coredump at all, your only chance is to analyze it on-line using
DDB.  Be careful, DDB and X11 are mutually exclusive unless you are
using a serial console.  (That is, the panic might drop you into DDB,
with no chance to gain access to the text screen again where DDB waits
for its input.)

--
cheers, J"org