Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:34:20 +0200
From:      Douglas Ulyate <dugg@iafrica.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X Server

Hi,

uname -a output:

FreeBSD Bismuth 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Sep 16 18:25:12
GMT 1999
jhay@exteension.mikom.csir.co.za:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

When I tried to  run startx, I got the following message:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "ld-linux.so.2" not found

So, I don't know whether this was the correct thing to do or not, I
downloaded the file "ld-linux.so.2".  Now, I get the following message
when I run startx:

Bus error - core dumped

This then creates a file called xinit.core in my home directory.

When I run xdm, I get the login screen, but after logging in, it just
sends me back to the login screen.  The file .xsession-errors contains
the following:

exec: /home/drdugg/.xsession: permission denied

I must just point out that sometimes I tried to run xdm as a regular
user, and not after running su, by mistake.

On the X Desktop, I have GNOME with Enlightenment, but haven't actually
loaded them because the X Server keeps giving me the abovementioned
error messages.  Both .xinitrc and .xsession contain just one line, exec
gnome-session.

For the record, I am a complete newbie when it comes to FreeBSD, only
had it for about a week now!.

TIA

Douglas