Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 03:38:33 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for libtermcap ressurection from the dead

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 04:23:42AM +0400, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> > Avdantages:
> >
> > 1) We'll be 100%-compatible with all libtermcap programs again.
> > 2) Save LOTS of space for static binaries since libtermcap is extremally
> > small.
> >
> > Opinions?

Fine with me, provided you handle any problems with mixing the libraries.
I think "-ltermcap -lcurses" should somehow use the curses interfaces
despite termcap being first.

> I don't object. The namespace collisions in src/games with ncurses functions
> are really, really bad, and though just not linking to ncurses is sort of a hackish
> fix, this would at least mask the problems until further into the future when
> I have time to change function names. :->

There are also a problem with the ospeed variable outside of src/games:

===> usr.bin/top
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: Warning: size of symbol `ospeed' changed from 2 to 4 in lib_tputs.o

top/screen.c has "short ospeed" although it doesn't actually use ospeed
directly.

Bruce