Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 11:50:04 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Rob Hunter <robh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: connectivity through wingate

Rob Hunter wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've got the following problem:
>
> I've got an NT box on a network, running Wingate, with an ISDN modem
> connected to it.
>
> My problem is getting connectivity to my bsd box (3.1-RELEASE). The
> Windows pc's on the network basically use the internal address of the
> Wingate machine to get any outside connectivity, but I need outside
> connectivity for the bsd box for things like ftp, ssh, etc.
>
> How do I setup the bsd box to use the Wingate as a gateway?

Hi Rob,

I use an NT server running a NATD style process as my dialout and you
just point your FreeBSD system to it as the gateway and for DNS. There
are a few things that don't work but I push a button and NT comes up
on the shared monitor and I do what I wanted from there. WinGate
handles the address translation a little bit differently. There are
usually some write up's on how to make other Windows systems pass
through a WinGate machine and they apply FreeBSD. You may have to go
passive on a few things such as FTP. A few things that I don't use
such as ICQ/IPC (?) may not work from FreeBSD. You also might find it
easier to create a hosts file for your systems. They all have the same
structure.

From what I have been reading, in a few months you won't be able to
tell whether you are using NT for a gateway or FreeBSD. The internal
machines will all think they are hardwired to the Internet. I think
the first installation on a clean NT system will be much faster than
setting up FreeBSD to use ppp because of the wizards. That again is
different when you are using an ISDN. I don't have anything like that
and can't comment on that side. If you get into trouble, I don't think
that is true because you can capture all of the dialog on FreeBSD and
I don't think you can on NT. I've never had a dialup not work on NT
and don't have any ideas on capabilities.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA