Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:14:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        jasonf@citynet.net, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

 --- Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> schrieb: > On
Tuesday, 17 July 2001 at 10:22:10 +0200, m p
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > let it be technical again.
> >
> > I wanted to do a little bit more research before
> > bringing up the idea of porting the GPLed version
> of
> > JFS to *BSD. But now is better than else.
> >
> > JFS would be a nice thing for
> > mail/database/http/file-servers. I can not state
> "that
> > filesystem is better than this". But a filesystem
> > developed by a big company to use it with linux -
> why
> > do we not port it?
>
> Well, there's a significant amount of effort
> involved, for one thing.
> BSD kernel internals are very different from Linux.
> But if you want
> to work on it, I can offer official support.
>
> > Things i wanted to research before starting it:
> > 1) Is there anybody doing it and needing help?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> > 2) What filesystem/booting-process/lvm-stuff is
> under
> > development in -current?
>
> Vinum root file systems are just a SMOP away.  I had
> it running over a
> year ago, but didn't have time to make some minor
> modifications.

In a statement (i don't remember where; a quick google
search i didn't found it) a road-plan was described.
It mentioned a project hosted at www.freebsd/~??? (it
was three letters i rember). There was a new layout
for volumes and the boot process described.

> > 3) How do i have to modify the kernel to support
> JFS?
> > (or modify the linux kernel wrapper)
>
> It's certainly more than modifying the Linux kernel
> wrapper.  It's too
> early to guess exactly how much work it might be.
>
> > 4) How do i kernel programming (if needed)?
>
> I don't understand this question.

I had never done kernel hacking before. (Perhaps the
sentence above would read better this way: how do i do
porgramming at the kernel level "the right way" tm?)
And yes, i will buy the book mentioned by Kris
Kennaway some days ago at freebsd-questions " Design
and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System". Is
there another good source about kernel hacking?

> > 5) What _exactly_ is a filesystem?
>
> Well, I would think you would understand this
> already.  Or maybe I'm
> misunderstanding your point.

I don't know much about concepts behind that word.
What _exactly_ means journaling? How is made sure,
that the log-files to replay the action are
consistent? etc. I heard about filesystems a little
bit. It is a way to learn more about them. But to know
more about that will make the work easier.

> > When these points are clear (worst case i have to
> do a research on
> > all 5, best case only on point 1) i will start the
> project.
> >
> > Is there any big step i missed during
> brainstorming?
>
> Well, maybe the magnitude of the project.  It's not
> easy, and even the
> recently released Linux version of the file system
> has significant
> "issues".

As i mentioned: i've got plenty of time the next year
working under the week somewhere else and living in a
motel. No people i knew nearby. So coding will prevent
me from looking to much tv. :)

Marc