Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:48:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      jfesler@gigo.com
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

> Why?  Traditionally Unix hasn't run on hardware that has software
> power off.  Who can say what traditional unix is when the hardware has
> a new feature?

Solaris on Sun equipment has been doing it a long time.  I can telnet,
shutdown with a state of 5, and bewm, buh-bye power.   Workstations can be
turned back on via keyboard; the servers I've used actually physically
throws a power switch that has to be manually switched back on.

Considering the age of the equipment and the OS level I'm using, I can
safely say it's been doing it many years :-).