Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:09:14 -0600
From:      "Bouchard, David" <dbouchard@InfinitecNetworks.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   device_probe_and_attach question

> I've recently completed an instalation of FreeBSD but I have one problem.
> I can't seem to get the ethernet card to work.
>
> During boot-up, the messages I get are:
>
> xl0: <3Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL> irq 11 at device 16.0 on pci0
> xl0: couldn't map ports/memory
> device_probe_and_attach: xl0 attach returned 6
>
> I used the 3com utility to get the following information about the
> card:
> Interrupt Level: 11
> I/O Base: FC40
> Slot # 16
> Ethernet Address: 00600815F3E6

	The information I got from doing a uname -s is:
	FreeBSD systest.infinitecnetworks.com 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
4.0-RELEASE #1: Wed Nov 15 14:43:51 CST 2000
root@systest.infinitecnetworks.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SYSTEST	i386

	As you can tell, I have recompiled the kernel (it didn't work before
that, either).  I made sure I had the miibus support loaded when I did this
as well.  I have also tried loading the miibus support as a module, and that
hasn't worked either.  No matter what I have tried, I continue to get the
above message.