Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 14:39:40 -0400
From:      "Robert Blayzor" <rblayzor@inoc.net>
To:        "'Matthew Dillon'" <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "'Karl M. Joch'" <k.joch@kmjeuro.com>, "'Martin Kraemer'" <Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>, "'Justin T. Gibbs'" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.6-RC: indefinite wait buffer... (was Re: RE: Swap_pager error)

>     I'm tying your thread into another ' 4.6-RC: indefinite
> wait buffer...'
>     Since you appear to be having a very similar problem to the one
>     Martin is reporting.

Thanks.  If I can be of any help, let me know.  I do not believe this to
be exactly just a 4.6-stable issue as I've seen the problem happen on
4.5-RELEASE-p4 as well.  Again, once you reboot the machine, all is well
for what could be hours, days or weeks, and then eventually you just run
into the problem.  I'm thinking it all depends on how much you swap.  On
our NFS/SMB server, it has 1GB of RAM and won't swap for days, maybe
weeks.  Then when the server gets busy at times, and it needs to use
swap, I believe that is when the problem occurs, or shortly after.  But
then, sometimes not at all.

We were not able to log any dmesg errors as it seems that when this
problem occurred /var/log/messages could not be written to.  We log all
kern.debug to both /var/log/messages and /dev/console.  The console was
littered with the messages, while /var/log contained nothing.  We've
fixed this by remotely logging kern.debug to another syslog server.
Perhaps when this problem occurred it hosed syslogd somehow.

I can do limited testing on our production boxes, and am willing to do
so if it helps the cause.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?