Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:37:13 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        kapteyn@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BUGS ? in latest released distribution

> kapteyn@xs4all.nl wrote:
>
> After trying and retrying using the "official" :-) distribution cd's
> from FreeBSD i found myself nowhere near a complete installation of
> freebsd.
>
> During install i got all kinds of messages saying thate.g.
> kdbase failed
> xbin failed

I sometimes get this when I'm installing a package during the
installation process, but not afterwards. I would try installing these
one at a time after installation is complete, and in the proper order.
Look for missing dependency errors (if any) then install those missing
packages.

> > Have there been wrong distibutions put onto ftp sites and distibution
> disks?
> I tried using FTP from friday untill sunday night. This costs me about
> 2-3$ per hour.wyxv
> I have put all kinds of questions into several newsgroups. Bu
> basically the answers are no good to me, as i am not able to put a
> good freebsd installation on my pc....

I would make sure that everything you are using is from the same
version. In my case, upgrading my ports tree caused weird problems when
I didn't first upgrade my base OS to STABLE. I have reluctantly resorted
to using just the packages from the CDs.

It sounds like you have to pay quite a bit for your connection time, so
it might be worthwhile to actually purchase an official set of CDs from
BSDi, or even a cheap redistro from Cheapbytes or LinuxMall.

David