Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 11:22:26 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        James Love <love@cptech.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, dmorrisn <dmorrisn@u.washington.edu>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

At 09:35 AM 10/3/98 -0400, James Love wrote:

>   It seems to me that Brett would like to kill Linux as
>   a platform, perhaps because of the GPL, which he
>   appears to really hate.

Jamie:

Untrue on both counts, and you do me a tremendous disservice by
saying so. I have never stated that I wish to "kill" Linux as a
platform -- nor, in fact, do I wish to do so. However, I do believe
that it is no more worthy than many other alternatives, and is
inferior to at least one: FreeBSD. Linux seems, however, to have
achieved "fad" status, and this is dangerous because it may undermine
superior or potentially superior alternatives.

Also, I do believe that most users (as well as many developers) do
not understand the intended consequences of the GPL or the many
problems it can and will cause in the long term if it becomes the
dominant license for open source software. I don't "hate" it (and
think it is inappropriate for you to trivialize my objections to
it by attempting to claim that they are the result of an irrational
emotional response). However, I do see the GPL as intentionally
hostile to entrepreneurship and innovation, and hence very
destructive.

>   I think this is a mistake, and not particularly
>   contructive, but Brett has his reasons.

Again, I've stated the quite rational reasons for my objections to
the GPL frequently. It disappoints me that you choose to disparage
me, and them, rather than listening.

>   At a point, hwoever, one has to question just about
>   anything Brett is saying about Linux, because he
>   seems (to me) to have have lost perspective.

Au contraire -- I see most of those who advocate the GPL as lacking
perspective. Most of them seem only to have in mind one short-term
goal: to damage Microsoft's business prospects. They do not look
far enough ahead and recognize the damage that the GPL will do
to potential competitors of Microsoft's, and to the development
of commericial software in general.

Some advocates on the GPL, on the other hand, do NOT lack perspective
but rather have as a goal the destruction of ALL commercial software
ventures. These people hope that OTHERS' lack of perspective will cause
them to unwittingly further this goal. Richard Stallman is among those
who fall into this latter camp.

--Brett Glass