Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 01:34:32 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
Cc:        altq@csl.sony.co.jp, akorud@polynet.lviv.ua, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [altq 575] Re[2]: [altq 565] Running ALTQ

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Kenjiro Cho wrote:

> Andriy Korud wrote:
> > And few more questions:
> > 1. What does ALTQ_NOPCC option mean? Will disabling it (using
> > processor counters) improve limit resolution?
>
> It requires only one machine cycle to read a processor cycle couner
> (timestamp counter for pentium), which is much cheaper than using
> microtime().  However, it doesn't affect the kernel timer resolution.

It takes more than one cycle, at least in a loop.  I just retried the
following:

main()
{
	__asm("
	movl	$100000000,%ecx
	.align	4,0x90
1:
	rdtsc
	decl	%ecx
	nop
	jne	1b
	");
}

and it took 30 cycles on a Celeron and 12 cycles on a P5 (32 and 14
cycles, respectively, including 2 cycles of loop overhead).

Bruce