Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 2002 23:01:08 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   MIB support for network devices in FreeBSD?

--==_Exmh_157521132P

Hi all,

(pls Cc: me on any response, not subscribed to either list)

Can't find any references to this in the archives.

What's the status of MIB support for network interfaces in FreeBSD? Is it
deprecated, optional, "would be nice"?

Reason for asking is that a dockapp I use has stopped displaying real-time
stats since a recent upgrade. This is because the author has switched to using
the interface MIB to collect statistics in the latest version[1].

Which in itself seems like a nice approach, except that it doesn't display
anything for my 802.11 card, or the loopback device.

Digging around a bit with grep (in 4.6-RC) shows that only 3 devices in
/usr/src/sys/dev seem to have implemented full MIB support, a couple more
increment error counters, and ~20 more NIC drivers (including most all of my
NICs)
don't apparently implement any support for MIB-based counters whatsoever[2].

Anyway, should the author of the utility be advised:

a)	Nice approach, little premature

b)	Nice approach, very premature

c)	Wrong approach, revert to previous if you want it to work with FreeBSD

d)	Other?

Also, I'd be interested to know which MIBs we intend to support, and from
which draft/RFC it's drawn from, if anyone happens to know or can point me at
some *BSD docs?

TIA.

Regards,

AS

[1] He added FreeBSD support to a previously Solaris/Linux-only app, but
doesn't apparently have a FreeBSD box to test on himself, asks for feedback on
his webpage.

[2] It's obviously not entirely that simple, 'coz I can't find any reference
to the xl driver incrementing mib counters /either/, yet the monitor dockapp
seems to work for the built-in xl device in my laptop...

--==_Exmh_157521132P

--==_Exmh_157521132P--