Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 15:38:21 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        cactoss@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: localhost cannot be resolved

cactoss> I'm having trouble resolving "localhost" for telnet and fetchmail. All
cactoss> other programs (ftp, rlogin, rsh, ping, lynx) seem to understand
cactoss> "localhost".

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?

cactoss> I'm going to include my configuration files. Please tell me if you'd like
cactoss> to get more info on something.

cactoss> > cat /etc/hosts
cactoss> 127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain
cactoss> ::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain
cactoss> > cat /etc/host.conf
cactoss> hosts
cactoss> bind
cactoss> > cat /etc/resolv.conf
cactoss> nameserver 209.226.175.224
cactoss> nameserver 204.101.251.2

cactoss> All looks right, does it?

It seems right for me.

cactoss> Now, when I run telnet or fetchmail, they complain.

> telnet localhost
cactoss> localhost: No address associated with hostname
> echo $?
cactoss> 1

It seems getaddrinfo(3) was failed.
What's curious.  Rlogin, rsh and ftp call getaddrinfo(3), too.  Why is
it only telnet and fetchmail?

cactoss> > fetchmail
cactoss> 9 messages for MYUSERNAME at pop.mail.yahoo.com (64648 octets).
cactoss> reading message 1 of 9 (13403 octets) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to
cactoss> localhost failed
cactoss> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.mail.yahoo.com
cactoss> fetchmail: Query status=SMTP
> echo $?
cactoss> 10

cactoss> At the same time fetchmail causes ipfw to produce these messages:
cactoss> Aug 11 21:41:47 mydomain /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP ::0001:25 from
cactoss> ::0001:1063
cactoss> Aug 11 21:41:47 mydomain /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP 127.0.0.1:113
cactoss> from 127.0.0.1:1065
cactoss> Aug 11 21:41:47 mydomain /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP ::0001:25 from
cactoss> ::0001:1066
cactoss> Aug 11 21:41:47 mydomain /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP 127.0.0.1:113
cactoss> from 127.0.0.1:1067

You don't have SMTP/IPv6 listen.  This should be OK.
So, SMTP connection to ::1 was fail.  Then, SMTP connection to
127.0.0.1 was tried.
It seems IDENT query was made in correspondings to SMTP connection to
127.0.0.1.  I think you have SMTP/IPv4 listen.

cactoss> Actually, could someone tell me, what does ::0001 mean? Should this be in
cactoss> /etc/hosts with an alias of localhost?

::0001 is same as ::1.  Leading zero can be omittled in IPv6 address
format.

cactoss> These strange things started to happen soon after I cvsup'ed ports-all and
cactoss> reinstalled libtool. I also compiled firewall support into the kernel a
cactoss> few days ago. Just in case any of this might be related to the problem.

I think libtool has no relation with this problem.  It may rely on
firewall rule.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/