Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 2004 05:08:44 -0600
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD wireless access point (under 5.2.1)

> "options BRIDGE" is in my kernel and the following sysctls are set:
> net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
> net.link.ether.bridge.config=wi0,xl0
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
>
> 1. My wireless laptop can not ping the FreeBSD machine itself.
>
> 2. Hosts on my wired network can not ping the wireless laptop, even though
> the wireless laptop CAN ping hosts on my wired network.

<snip>
> If anyone can shed some light on this problem, it would be much appreciated.

I hate to say that I can't shed much light on the issue, but can
attest that I'm having the exact same symptom on an all wired network.
 I'm using a bridge configuration for two wired interfaces and the
only system that cannot be directly reached is the router itself.  In
order to do any maintenance to the router from the internal network, I
ssh out to another machine and ssh back to it from there.  This is far
from convenient.  I did have someone suggest to me that there was an
issue with bridging in FreeBSD that was similar to this, but also
haven't found much info on it.  I do hope someone can be more help to
you (read us).

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.