Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 13:05:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        frank@fwi.uva.nl
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS3 query

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996 frank@fwi.uva.nl wrote:

> [I'm not on this list, so please Cc any replies to me..]
>
> I've been integrating Rick Macklem's NFSv3 code (from Lite2) into
> NetBSD-current. After passing through several tests in several configurations,
> I thought I was mostly done with it. However, I decided to scan the
> FreeBSD mailing lists for any problems that you folks might have had
> integrating it, since you have done that already a while ago.
>
> I noticed a message from Bruce Evans, dated August 2nd I think, in which
> he wrote:
>
> > 3. Making of vnode_if.[ch] for the kernel on the client with /usr NFSv3-
> >    mounted gives corrupted files (with small pieces missing or something like
> >    that).
>
> So I tried it and, sure enough, it failed. It only happens when v3 is used,
> without NQNFS extensions. It seems that the last buffer of the files is not
> written to the server, creating truncated files.
>
> It isn't one of the 2 bugs reported in the patches that Rick put up for ftp,
> I checked that.
>
> My question is: did you guys already fix this one (I guess so, since it
> was reported 4 months ago), and how did you fix it?
>
> I just thought I'd ask before going off and hunting it down myself, there's
> no to reinvent the wheel after all.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,

Wasn't it something to do with buf->b_validoff and buf->b_validend not
being fully supported (at the time) by the VM system?  I can't remember
if it was fixed at the time.  Is anyone using NFSv3 in current at the
moment?

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411