Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:10:23 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru>
Cc:        sheepkiller@cultdeadsheep.org
Subject:   Three-level ports (Re: RFC: patch for bsd.port.mk to use ${PORTSDIR}/MOVED)

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 01:52:23AM +0400, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> >It was primarily written to make a smooth migration from current 2
> >levels ports tree to a hypothetic 3 levels ports tree,
>=20
> Question 2 portmgr: is this planned? At least hypothetical :)

It's hypothetical, but it's a big job that requires more planning [*]
and supervision by someone in portmgr.  So far there haven't been any
volunteers from portmgr to take charge of the issue and work on making
it happen.

[*] e.g. addressing some key technical issues like the fact that all
the repo-copies needed to move ports around would more than double the
size of the ports CVS repository, add 9000 lines to MOVED, etc.  The
broad outline of the transition I am imagining is to make a misc/
subdirectory for each category (e.g. net/misc/) that would hold all
the ports that are not moved to other subdirectories
(e.g. net/clients/ or whatever), to avoid the problem of mixing ports
and subdirectories at the second level in the ports tree.  We'd try to
come up with an initial list of how to split up each category and
divide up as many of the ports as we can, and leave the unclassified
remainder in ${CATEGORY}/misc/.  There's not a whole lot of point
jumping in to the details until we have the infrastructure, and
committer management ready though.

Kris

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--