Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 10:32:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        fpawlak@execpc.com (Frank Pawlak)
Cc:        drifter@stratos.net, fpawlak@execpc.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

Frank Pawlak wrote:
> It is interesting that you did an in-depth analysis of my analogy.  I was
> taking neither of the positions arrived at in your deduction.  The is no
> question about the issue of personification of guns in the US.  The citizens
> have been armed to the teeth since the Revolutionary War.  Gun possession is
> covered by the Constitution.  So far all well and good.

	based upon reading madison, jefferson and other FF's (founding
	fathers), the second amendment to the constitution was enacted
	in order to guarantee the citizentry's ability to oppose
	a tyrannical government, and thereby prevent that government
	from forming.

	ownership  of small arms is insufficient for the task.
	if one embraces the purpose of the second amendment, rather
	then just the language, we must allow the citizentry to own
	heavy weapons.  no one that i know of advocates this.

	what would it have availed the chinese students to have
	small arms in tianamen (sp) square.  it would not have
	forestalled action by the gov't.

	the narrow reading of the second amendment leaves us with
	the high death rate by shooting that we have in the US
	without the means to effectively oppose the govt.
	the worst of both.   ugh.
jmb