Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:14:20 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FWIW: More questionable softupdates+vinum benchmarks

At 10:35 AM -0800 2000/2/17, Parag Patel wrote:

>  Hello.  I have a friend's quad PPro box temporarily sitting in my garage
>  that I've been using to play with 4.0-CURRENT and vinum.  Since the last
>  series of bug-fixes a few weeks ago, everything works as advertised.

	While we're on this subject, I recently did some benchmarking
with just a single disk on a machine running 3.4-STABLE, both with
and without softupdates.  I haven't yet gotten a chance to test it
with vinum and softupdates, but what I got did a pretty good job of
impressing me.

	I won't quote the mail messages here (you can go read
freebsd-stable for that, look for message-ids
<v0422080eb4d1975ec780@[195.238.1.121]> and
<v04220816b4d1a39aa381@[195.238.1.121]>), but suffice it to say that
for my testing, I saw 3-5x performance increase for the benchmark I
was running ("postmark", from Network Appliance).

	The primary reason I was doing this was to get some sort of idea
what kind of performance you might be able to expect if you took an
application like a mail server or a USENET news server (with
traditional spool), and you re-wrote the application so as to avoid
expensive synchronous meta-data operations (which are the things that
softupdates tries to optimize out of existance).

	I'm starting to actually believe that you might really be able to
see a real-world 5-10x performance increase, if you did that.  In
fact, I believe that this is pretty much what admins of boxes running
INN are seeing when they use CNFS.  Jeez, Louise.

--
   These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                 Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|