Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 13:10:42 -0400
From:      Roderick Schertler <roderick@gate.net>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need passive ftp to fetch ports

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:54:34 -0700 (PDT), "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com> said:
> On 4 Sep 1996, Roderick Schertler wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Sep 1996 15:49:49 +1000 (EST), Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au> said:
>>>
>>> How can I get the ports mechanisim to use passive ftp by default ?
>>
>> Add
>>
>>     NCFTPFLAGS ?= -N -P
>>
>> to /etc/make.conf.
>
> didn't ncftp go away in 2.1.5 in favor of fetch?

Did it?  Sorry about that.  I've pulled down the new bsd.port.mk and the
fetch source and it looks like putting

    FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS ?= -p

in /etc/make.conf will work with that setup.

Beware:  fetch(1) says that setting FTP_PASSIVE_MODE in the environment
will force passive mode, but I don't see fetch.c actually carrying
through with that promise.  (I'll make a note to send-pr this, but my
system is in a bit of a state at the moment.)

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@gate.net