Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 1998 21:13:02 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TeX problems; Doc. Proj. needs you!

[ multi-posted, because of x-post limits, to -hackers, -advocacy, -newbies,
  and -doc.

  -hackers, because we might have some hackers who know TeX, but wouldn't
   think of reading -doc because they don't think they can write.

  -advocacy, for similar reasons

  -newbies, for similar reasons (some of the folks in there are new to
   FreeBSD, but not knew to Unix and/or Unix apps)

  -doc, because it's Doc. Proj. related.

  Also posted to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.

  Reply-To set back to me, nik@freebsd.org ]

Calling all TeX hackers, your Documentation Project needs you.

The Handbook has been converted to DocBook. This process is (bar some
merging from current content) complete. One of the last hurdles is getting
PostScript and PDF versions of the Handbook generated. When that's done,
we can retire the LinuxDoc version (and start working on the FAQ, and
other tutorials).

I don't know TeX, and I don't have reference materials handy. There's
also a bunch of other Doc. Proj. related stuff that I can do to help
bring others up to speed. So I need your help.

Briefly, this is how the Handbook is now arranged;

* The DocBook Handbook is in the doc/en/handbook subdirectory of the
  CVS tree. There's a Makefile in there, which should work, as long
  as you've installed ports/textproc/docproj -- this is a meta-port
  which will pull in all the others.

* The Handbook is processed by an application called Jade. Jade produces
  a .tex file.

* This .tex file then needs to be used, in conjunction with some macros,
  called JadeTeX, to produce a DVI file. The JadeTeX macros also have a
  PDF variant. JadeTex needs teTeX v0.9.

In theory, that's all the pieces that are needed.

I can sort of get things to work. But there are problems, and I don't
know how to fix them.

This where I've got to so far;

* Download and install textproc/docproj from the ports system. This will
  give you Jade, the DTDs for the Doc. Proj. (don't worry, you don't
  need to know what they are) and supporting applications.

* Download and install print/teTeX-beta from the ports system (you want
  a version which identifies itself as 0.9-YYMMDD). It's large, ~30MB of
  required distfiles.

* Configure TeX with /usr/local/bin/texconfig.

  - Rebuild the ls-R database

  - Change the hyphenation table. Uncomment the British entry (and keep a
    stiff upper lip as you do so).

  - Set an xdvi default papertype

  - Set a dvips default papertype

  - In the fonts menu, add global write permissions

* Fetch the JadeTeX macro package from a CTAN repository, such as

       <URL:http://tug.org/applications/jadetex/>;

  You want the contents of that directory and all the subdirectories,
  so somewhere that supports on the fly tarring of directories is
  useful. The RCS string in jadetex.dtx should be 2.3 or higher.

* Install it. It comes with a Makefile, but it's got problems;

    1. The line

         tex -ini "&hugelatex" jadetex.ini

       doesn't work, there is no &hugelatex. I used &latex.

    2. It references dsssl.def and isoents.tex. I don't know where
       they come from.

    3. Building pdfjadetex doesn't work, due to problems with
       hyperref.

  Ignoring those problems, I can get it to install using the Makefile.

* Checkout a copy of /doc/en/handbook/ from the CVS repository. You'll
  also need /doc/en/sgml checked out (and in the same relative
  position in the filesystem).

  Run

      make handbook.tex

  and wait for it to generate a ~5MB .tex file.

  If the "handbook.tex" target doesn't exist, it means I haven't
  committed the Makefile yet. Instead, you can run the following

      /usr/local/bin/jade -c ../../sgml/catalog			\
        -c /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/catalog	\
        -c /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/3.0/catalog		\
        -c /usr/local/share/sgml/jade/catalog			\
        -d /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/print/docbook.dsl \
        -t tex handbook.sgml

* Bump up your TeX limits, since the Handbook's size pushes TeX fairly
  hard. In particular, you want these settings

      hash_extra = 60000
      pool_size = 1000000
      max_strings = 70000

  in /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf (adjust the path
  depending on your $PREFIX setting).

* Run

     tex "&jadetex" handbook.tex

  You will see errors go by, but it will eventually generate
  handbook.dvi. The generated file has some problems, in particular,
  most of the ISO entities (&gt;, &ouml;, and so on) are still in
  that form, and haven't been translated. Also, the table of contents
  doesn't have the page numbers correct.

  You should also be able to do

     tex "&pdfjadetex" handbook.tex

  to get the PDF version. I can't do this because of the hyperref
  problems I outline above.

If you can get this working, *and* come up with a jadetex port, I'll be
very grateful.

If you can get this working, and can give me detailed instructions so that
I can write a jadetex port, I'll still be pretty grateful :-)

Many thanks to anyone who can help with this.

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .