Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:52:22 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
Cc:        "'Steve Tremblett'" <sjt@cisco.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARRGH Netscape stinks!

+---- Person, Roderick wrote:
| why would you be morally opposite to 'Opera with that advertising crap' when
| the vast majority of web sites have ads all over them?
| Even your link has an ad on that page. I'm just curious. Of course you can
| pay for Opera and get ride of the ads. But I would guess that would be more
| oppositional that having ads :)

Why would I invite MORE ads onto my desktop if I can barely stand the
ones on the web?  So intrusive and obnoxious.  I can't change someone
else's website, but given a choice (which I have in the programs I
decide to use), I'm going to do without the ads thank you very much.

And I _am_ willing to pay for software in the case of "we offer this
for free but would appreciate your support", but not in the case where
"this is annoying until you pay us".  If I pay for it will they give
special attention to a bug that I find (as opposed to a non-paying
user)?  I doubt it - I can't find out for sure because their damn
website doesn't display properly in Netscape, which implies that they
likely endorse Explorer extensions.

It's all about reinforcement (remember Psych 101?) - every ad that is
delivered to your desktop is a validation of their business model, and
every one you click is double.  Even if I see an ad that interests me,
I NEVER click through it - I just open a new window and goto the site
directly by address.

To be honest, all this ad stuff became unbearable some time ago, I just
have been to busy to investigate the solutions - I hear junkbuster is
good.  If a suitable one does not exist I'll make one myself.

*sigh*

Sorry for the offtopic rant! :)

--
Steve Tremblett