Date:      09 Aug 2000 13:04:04 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diking out ports a.out support

 * From: John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>

 * Granted, this requires you to populate /usr/lib/aout, but that is not
 * overly difficult.  I have heard of people who use 4.0 aout only systems
 * in embedded work for some odd reason or another.  I can see why checking to
 * insure that ports work as both aout and ELF binaries are painful.  However,
 * ripping out all aout support seems drastic.

I don't think that matters much.  Most of the so-called "a.out
support" in the ports system is for compiling an a.out/ELF binary on
an ELF/a.out system, or for installing an a.out/ELF package on an
ELF/a.out system.  The latter will not happen for embedded people and
they are capable of setting their CC etc. properly to handle the
former.

Satoshi