Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 12:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Johnny F. Morris" <johnny@tds.color-laser.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Date: error 14

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Johnny F. Morris wrote:

> I installed Xwindows on friday and noticed on monday that when I typed
> #date  I was getting "Permission Denied"
>
> When I examined the date binary I saw it was modified on friday about the
> same time
> I had done the install of XFree86.....and the permissions on date were
> -rw------- 1 root bin 81408 May 21 16:53 date
>
> Also the date binary was no longer an executable....there was no * next to it.
>
> So i did a
> #chmod +x date
> and changed the permissions to match all the others in /bin
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 81408 May 21 16:53 date
>
> BUT now when I do a
> #date
> I just get...
>
> date: error 14

According to intro(2):

     14 EFAULT Bad address. The system detected an invalid address in attempt-
             ing to use an argument of a call.

I would run an mtree checksum check of your binaries -- you may have been
broken into.

That or date just plain corrupted itself.  You didn't touch it on May 21
16:53, did you?

Doug White