Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:56:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@freebsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/5827: Kernel panics in current (3.0)

>Number:         5827
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       kernel panics in current (3.0)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 3.0-971022-SNAP i386
>Environment:

Kernel sources as of last weekend.

kernel panics with a "Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while
in kernel mode"  at address 0x8:0xf0196f9f which translates to the
"stosl" in "generic_bzero".

>How-To-Repeat:

Boot a current kernel on an AMD K6 :-). The panics happen after the
"npx0: INT 16 interface" line.

>Fix:

I have fixed it for the moment on my box with a save of %es, move from
%ds to %es before the "stosl" and a restore afterwards.
It looks like %es segment gets somewhere overwritten in the kernel.
It is not sufficient to explicitly set it in locore.s, also tried
after snooping around in the bootblock code and locore.s.
I suspect you will only see this problem with the AMD K6 or a Cyrix
chip. The Pentium and 486 use another bzero routine in the kernel.