Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:24:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        stable@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   support for a.out in ports

Hello!

What's the general opinion on listing the minor numbers of the libraries
installed by a port in the port's pkg-plist?

The  bsd.ports.mk  strips  the  minor numbers  out  automaticly  if  the
PORTOBJFORMAT  is  not aout,  and  the  following ports  currently  list
libraries in that fashion:

	XttXF86srv-common beecrypt clanlib cle_base dcdflib expect
	faces fnlib hesiod iv jade lcms libdjvu++ libdlmalloc libffi
	libfpx libicq libmalloc libmng libparanoia libslang libsocket++
	libtabe linux-lesstif-ns mh omniORB pari pgplot pilot-link pine
	radiusclient sqlite tcl80 tclExpat tcp_wrapper tix tk80 tvision
	xforms xview

The only arguments against doing it, that I heard, are:

	a.out is dead everywhere, except for some large corporations,
	who can afford own admins to maintain/fix their ports

I  think,  this contradicts  the  FreeBSD's  goal of  providing  quality
software for everybody  (including large corporations). And  if an admin
needs to maintain/fix the ports, it is not quality software, IMHO.

	a.out was retired more than two years ago!

I retired my a.out (2.2.8-STABLE) server  this May. I can imagine people
still  having  a few  co-located  far  enough  to  make a  release  jump
troublesome, wishing to be able to build  the package on one and copy to
another...

They  are not  that  difficult to  add... Should  the  minor numbers  be
tolerated? Should  they be welcome?  Should they be actively encouraged?
Thanks,

	-mi