Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 12:30:27 +1000
From:      "Brett Gray" <beatteam@austasia.net>
To:        "Freebsd Newbies List" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Solved!!!  - cant get dialup connection with PAP

Well,   I solved it!   (Took me 6½ hrs...  but...)

Just for everyone elses info...   to save them tearing their hair out...

Thanks to Brian Wotring for this......
> Don't you have to have a pap-secrets file?  syntax similar to:
>
> <username>	*	<password>

Not sure..   But I have and already had it (just negelected to mention it)
in my original cry for help!

And to Steve Fredrich for this....
> It looks like it's complaining about LQR not being activated. In your
> default section you have:
> deny lqr
> try changing this to enable lqr

No...this wouldnt work...  I had already tried that..  but in the log I
kept getting a PAP complaint from my ISP to stop sending LQR... Log reads
like this....

09-03 23:36:16 [655] StopLqr method = 1
09-03 23:36:16 [655] Stop sending LQR, Use LCP ECHO instead.

But there is **nothing** on the net to explain these responses...
Anyway I came accross another page (somewhere) that said something to the
effect that I don't need to disable chap...  so I dropped those lines out
of my ppp.conf ...

 enable pap               <=- deleted this line
 accept pap               <=- deleted this line
 disable chap               <=- deleted this line
 deny chap               <=- deleted this line
 set authname brett
 set authkey password

And um...   guess what?   IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So to Steve and Brian.. Thank you for your help.

But I suppose tho moral of the story is 'KISS'  Keep It Simple Stupid!!!