Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 08:45:17 -0600
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail vs. postfix question

I took the advanced Sendmail course from
Allman back that the '99 LISA. At that
time he said there had been no security
holes found in sendmail in a few years (I
don't remember the actual number), and in
those 2 years, I don't remember any.

I also run Sendmail Switch (the for sale
version) on my main domain, and it installs
running without root.

> Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 01:15:22 -0500
> From: "Richard Ward" <mh@neonsky.net>
> Subject: Re: sendmail vs. postfix question
>
> That's very true. One of the features that stand out in the "Sendmail =
> verses Postfix" war is that Postfix doesn't "need" root. With some =
> modification, neither does Sendmail. Though many won't take the time to =
> do this, it's one of the reasons Sendmail is deemed one of the most =
> insecure "common" daemons. I prefer Sendmail over Postfix simply because =
> I was brought up on to the Internet running Sendmail, it feels more like =
> home. I do however have Postfix running on my local machine, and with =
> keeping up-to-date on mailing lists such as this, none are a huge threat =
> to my network.
>
> I would have to agree, doing anything in Sendmail takes some reading, =
> though for the basic e-mail setup, there's little need to bring out =
> O'Reilly. Both Sendmail and Postfix have a home on my network, I suppose =
> it's just how much time you want to put in to it that depicts which MTA =
> you will be running on your next computer.
>
> Just my two cents.
> - --
> Richard Ward, CEO
> richard@neonsky.net
> Neonsky Internet Services
> 877 249 6707 - US/Canada
>

> - ----- Original Message -----=20

Shaquille O'Neal, on his lack of championships:
"I've won at every level, except college and pro."