Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 1996 07:35:07 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=" (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, taob@io.org
Subject:   Re: Effect of UF_APPEND/SF_APPEND on file modes

> >I can
> >delete the file just fine.
>
> This seems to be a bugfeature in /bin/rm.  unlink(2) fails correctly.
> /bin/rm seems to attempt to handle the UF_APPEND and UF_IMMUTABLE
> flags in the the same way for root (by silently blowing them away),
> but it actually handles them diferrently because access(2) fails for
> the uchg case so the special handling of UF_IMMUTABLE doesn't get used.

Maybe this functionality should be extended to chown/chmod too,
because any user now can effectively stop chmoding of his
files (f.e. from root crontab) just making them immutable...

Basically I dislike whole idea that user things (UF_APPEND/UF_IMMUTABLE)
can affect root somehow. We need to think once again, maybe it need
to be fixed at syscall level instead...

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>