Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:50:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mark Nielsen <men@auto.med.ohio-state.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hello! I have an installation question.

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Mark Nielsen wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.5 onto my computer.
>
> After I booted, I wanted to do some post installation steps.
> I made the /usr/ports directory and copied over the links from the
> second cdrom.

OK...what utility did you use?  lndir?

> The problem with installing packages is that one cdrom has the binaries
> and the other cd-rom contains make files.

Note that the packages and ports are independent of one another.  Perhaps
some definitions are in order:

package:  A precompiled, compressed file containing the program and
supporting files, basically ready-to-run.  To install a package, type

pkg_add /path/to/package.tgz

as root.

port:  A bundle of files containing patches and compilation information to
build a program from it's distribution archive.  To make a port, go into
it's directory and type 'make'.  the appropriate file will be pulled from
/usr/ports/distfiles, or if it isn't there, it will attempt to fetch the
file from the master site.  Then the program is configured, patched, and
built; type 'make install' as root to install the program.

> When I select packages in the post installation, the /stand/sysinstall
> program will attempt to install programs even if the wrong cd-rom is in.
> For example, I select to install "lynx" and "netscape". Well, lynx gets
> installed just fine, but netscape does not because it is on the second
> cdrom in the ports subdirectory.

This shouldn't happen.  /usr/ports/distfiles should point to
/ports/disfiles on CDROM 2.  Don't bother copying over the packages since
they're so huge; just 'pkg_add' them directly off the CDROM.

> This is reall annoying. How am I to know which packages is on which cd
> without manually listing the files on the cdroms?

Unfortunately, that's where the trick is.  Some programs don't allow for
distribution on the FreeBSD CDROMs.  In those cases, there won't be a
package, but there may be a port with or without a corresponding distfile.
You'll know if you don't have it if it says '/some/file/ doesn't appear to
exist on this system.  Fetching from ftp://xx.yy.zz/qq/'.

There is an INDEX file in the ports directory you can search if you're
looking for a specific program.  For instance, i wanted to know what
irc-related things there are in ports, so I ran

grep "irc" INDEX

that will return several lines, one being:

ircii-2.9|/usr/ports/net/ircII|/usr/local|ircII, the 'Internet Relay Chat'
Client, Version 2.9|/usr/ports/net/ircII/pkg/DESCR|torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG|net||

The second field contains the location of the port, in this case in
/ports/net/ircII.

Packages aren't indexed, but it's location should correspond to the same
directory in the /packages heirarchy, which in this case it does:

ircii-2.8.16b.tgz@

> Also, I could get XFree86 to compile correctly. It would have been really
> great if the binaries were pre-compiled. But, apparently they were not.
> Bummer.

you're mistaken: a precompiled X _is_ included.  You should have seen a
choice for it when you installed the system.  It's in /XF86312 on CDROM 1.
You can install this yourself either by re-running install and mounting
your filesystems and not newfsing them, then using 'custom' to just
install X, or expand the archives manually by going into /usr/X11R6 (make
it if it doesn't exist) and expanding the parts you want:

tar xzf /cdrom/XF86312/X312Ma64.tgz

would expand the mach64 X server.

Run 'xf86config' when you're done to configure X.

> I am really impressed with the concepts behind the structure of FreeBSD,
> but I don't want to have an operating system where the installation program
> doesn't really work that well -- and I would like XFree86 to be pre-compiled.

The installer 'sysinstall' does need work.  It's a bug-in-progress :)  It
does a miraculous job though.

> I also was able to get netscape installed by putting in the second cd and
> going to ports/www/netscape2 and typing in "make". Real easy. I would
> just like to be able to not have to do it manually for ever single program.

Netscape is an exception since all the port does is ftp://ftp.netscape.com
and fetch the archive and extract it.

everything else is rather easy (_especially_ packages)!  You can pick up
teh omitted packages on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.1.5,
by the way.

Hope this helps.