Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:53:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Dick van den Burg <burg@is.ge.com>
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        Dick van den Burg <burg@perf.is.ge.com>, cvsup-bugs@polstra.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup

Chris Timmons wrote:

> Dick,
>
> John Polstra (the CVSup author) might be able suggest something when he
> returns to the list mid-month.  I'd encourage you to email him directly at
> <jdp@polstra.com>.
>
> > Is there any way whereby I can tell the server to connect to the
> > firewall (in stead of my-host) on a given port or is there any way I
> > can specify a portnumber I can connect to on the server in passive
> > mode?
>
> Either way it would probably require modifications to CVSup and CVSupd.
> The former seems like it would be easier than trying to guarantee port
> assignments at the server for a particular run of passive-mode CVSup.

  I have successfully hacked CVSup to make my setup work. The
temporary very gross workaround is that I hard-code the PORT command with
the IP address of the firewall and the port number from the -P
argument. This results in CVSupd connecting back to a know port on the
firewall. That connection is then plugged through to my FreeBSD box and
both cvsup sides think they are talking to each other.
  I would like to either expand the -P option to include a hostname or
IP number, or add another option to specify the host to connect to,
but I do not have enough knowledge of modula3 to do this quickly. I
suspect that there are not many people waiting for this feature ...

> > Any other suggestions ?
>
> It's probably not likely that you would change your firewall software
> (i.e. to socks) to get around this problem; however, might you locate an
> otherwise retired/discarded 386/486 machine outside the firewall with just
> ssh and cvsup?  You could set up your own mirror and talk to it through
> the firewall using ssh port forwarding.   If you are inclined to do this
> let me know,  and I can help you with setting up your mirror.

Ssh, socks or another box on the DMZ are not options I can use under
our current security policy.

> Good luck,
>
> -Chris

Thanks ... Dick