Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:20:22 +0200
From:      Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bernd.luevelsmeyer@heitec.net>
To:        K H Tan <netline@pop.jaring.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some installation question

K H Tan wrote:

> Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD and I have assigned to do FreeBSD installation on
> 7 servers. The servers are- 2 for DNS/ email, 2 for URL forwarding, 1 with
> mySQL, 1 web server, and 1 secure web server with SSL and verisign.
>
> I've read through some of the FAQ fairly quickly and I would appreciate some
> help on the following
>
> 1) What ported s/w do I have to install for URL forwarding server? I think I
> have to install Apache here. How does one go about configuring a server to
> forward URL?

I think what you want is a HTTP proxy. I suggest to have a look at www/squid, which is in the ports.

> 2) I'll be using Apache for web server and secure server. Is the Apache with
> FP extension available? How does one setup a secure web server with
> Verisign?

FP extensions are available in the port www/apache_fp-1.3.12 . For the secure Verrisign thing, I suggest to read the Apache docu.

> 3) Is Sendmail in one of the ported s/w list? What are other options? Qmail?

Sendmail is in the base installation; qmail is available. Others are e.g. Postfix or exim.

> 4) Can 2 DNS exist for one domain, or do we have to configure a
> primary/secondary DNS server? How should I do it?

For each zone you can only have one master, and as many slaves as you like. Before setting up a DNS server, *please* read about the topic. I suggest "DNS and BIND" (O'Reilly).

> 5) Is mySQL in the port list? If it is not, how do I go about installing it.

MySQL is in the ports.

Greetings,
	B. Luevelsmeyer