Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:05:58 +1100
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Alex Laurie <alex.r.laurie@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fetching from Github

On 3/11/2013 8:57 PM, Alex Laurie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Writing my first port form scratch and going through the slow porting
> method in the handbook. However I'm having problems fetching the source
> from Github. Any pointers?

Absolutely Alex :)

Mk/bsd.sites.mk supports USE_GITHUB=yes for fetching

There are additional GH_* knobs listed there that are also needed:

GH_ACCOUNT
GH_PROJECT
GH_TAGNAME
GH_COMMIT

Note that not all of the above are *always* required, depending on
repository and project naming.

Grep the ports tree for USE_GITHUB for examples, one of mine is:

databases/py-redis

Enjoy!

--
koobs