Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:53:14 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, "FreeBSD Stable (E-mail)" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make release grabbing all ports?

> That's exactly what
>     if [ -d ${DISTFILES}/ ]; then \
>         cp -rp ${DISTFILES} ${CHROOTDIR}/usr/ports/distfiles; \
>     fi
> does.  "not very smart", now there's an understatement.  :)

Well, it's "not very smart" for whomever's making the release to not
set that, no, I agree. :) The comments are reasonably explicit
elsewhere in release/Makefile:

# Set this to wherever the distfiles required by ${DOCPORTS} live.
DISTFILES?=     ${.CURDIR}/../../ports/distfiles

If you let this default to /usr/ports/distfiles, well, that's your
choice.

> make release has never been advertised as "simple".

Exactly, and those using it have to remain familiar with *all* of its
little foibles or they'll pay the price. :)

- Jordan