Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:23:47 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: From Slashdot...

On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 07:53:03PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
> > Now back to the point already in progress...
> >
> > I have commonly gone on record here regarding the "Linux is doing this.
> > What are we going to do about it?" line of discussion. I have been
> > consistent in stating the FreeBSD does a good job at doing that which
> > FreeBSD does regardless of the Linux path.
>
> This is still the point that I'm trying to find out...what is it that we
> are trying to "do a good job at"?  If I liked/wanted Linux, I'd
> switch...that is not the point of this thread.  The point is what do we
> consider to be our niche?  What do/can we do to improve that?
>
> You mentioned converting a couple of ppl over to FreeBSD...you aren't the
> only one who has done this...I've done it for several systems being used
> by an ISP, and continue to do so for the rest of their systems.  I've done
> it with a few students at the University I work at...
>
> ...by and far, the *hardest* ones to convert over at the ones that see
> Linux and the fact that Gaming companies are starting to do some serious
> games for Linux...us, we have a very good Linux emulation, but, like
> everything else that is 'emulated', it can only be soooo good.

last i heard our linux emulation had the same reputation as suns wabi and
ibm's winos2 box .. all three better more stable and relible that the
original, so what is wrong with that ?

i have one question .. why do WE want, errrr, why should WE convert anybody.
choosing an perating system is a needs, requirements and resourseces based
descision making process .. zealotry takes, should take, no part in it .. this
is if it is a real work horse system not controlled by tha vagaries of at home
fashion statements.

> Look at Solaris...Sun just recently announced they were going to start
> working on Linux emulation also...nothing about xBSD, only Linux...where
> are failing (if we are failing?) as far as users are concerned?
>
> I'm not afraid to *pay* for something, but how do we convince the
> companies out there developing software that there are ppl willing to pay
> for the software?

easy marc .. get us to write to those companies and ask fro 'tere developing
software' and or stop whinginf about how free everyting isn't and or go out
and buy the stuff that is ported to freebsd.

with regards to writing, i mean letter head and handwriting .. in todays over
hyped waste of bandwidth tcp/ip a good old fashioned letter is still worth
more than a thousand or even a million emails.

what would be even more valuable is company letter head .. now this assumes
that this is were we are are wanting to go, but, as we are not doing it it
seems pretty obvious to me that we don;t want to go in that direction, simple,
yes ?

people only do and get what they want to do and get .. this is one of teh most
fundamantal laws of human existance.

anyway its time to take the little yellow ones so i'd better go lay down.

regards

jonathan, finding out crusading costs too much.