Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 00:15:09 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        frank@fwi.uva.nl, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS3 query

>> 3. Making of vnode_if.[ch] for the kernel on the client with /usr NFSv3-
>>    mounted gives corrupted files (with small pieces missing or something like
>>    that).

>So I tried it and, sure enough, it failed. It only happens when v3 is used,
>without NQNFS extensions. It seems that the last buffer of the files is not
>written to the server, creating truncated files.

>It isn't one of the 2 bugs reported in the patches that Rick put up for ftp,
>I checked that.

>My question is: did you guys already fix this one (I guess so, since it
>was reported 4 months ago), and how did you fix it?

It's not fixed.  Random pieces get lost.  One ktrace run showed the second
512-byte write being completely lost.  The i/o is nothing special:

	read(0x0,0x2c100,0x200)
	break(0x2f000)
	fstat(0x1,...)
	break(0x30000)
	... more breaks

	write(0x1,0x2f000,0x200)	succeeds, but not present in final file
	... no lseeks on fd 1

Bruce