Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2013 05:49:41 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuild all ports for perl minor version update?

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:18:31 +0200
John Marino articulated:

> According to OpenBSD's Marc Espie on a pkgsrc list, a lot of
> established scripts will break on perl 5.18.  Apparently it is not
> highly backwards compatible.
>
> A large % of the perl packages would cease to build if they just
> moved to 5.18.  A minor upgrade is definitely better.

So what does that mean for the future of Perl-5.18 & FreeBSD? I haven't
seen any unusual chatter in other forums for other OSs regarding a
problem with Perl-5.18. Hell, even SlashDot has not had any negative
chatter that I am aware of and they are always the first to jump on any
software problem, real or imaginary. Is this a FreeBSD "specific"
problem and if so, what is being done to eradicate it?

--
Jerry ♔

If you don't have time to do it right, where
are you going to find the time to do it over?